Friday, March 23, 2007

How I became a sailor

I became a sailor in 1969 after getting a draft notice in the mail. I knew I wanted nothing to do with Army life so I ran to the Navy recuiter and enlisted. Dad had passed a few years earlier so Mom had a fit about sending her baby off to war. I had 4 months before I had to report to boot camp so I made sure she had all my attention before I left.

I reported to Orlando and my sailor life started that August day in 1969. Today I became a blogger and launched the USS jbird.

Subscribe in a reader

2 comments:

Malcolm R. Campbell said...

Hi,
I became a sailor a year earlier for the same reason, going through basic at Great Lakes and then serving aboard an aircraft carrier in the western Pacific.

Now that you've set sail aboart the USS jbird, I'm wishing you fair winds and following seas.

--Malcolm

jbird said...

Hi Malcolm,
We had two different Navy careers. I went to school in Pensacola, Fla for 1 year, then 1 year in Kamiseya Japan, 1 year in Misawa Japan and 1 year in Adak Alaska. Never served on a ship. You probably saw a whole bunch more of the world than I did. You made a stop or two in Japan I bet. Would love to hear some of you wild stories, stay in touch.

Jay